Wednesday, February 8, 2017

ABC Wednesday - E - Elephant Ride - Angkor - Cambodia


Angkor is one of the most important archaeological sites in South-East Asia. Stretching over some 400 km2, including forested area, Angkor Archaeological Park contains the magnificent remains of the different capitals of the Khmer Empire, from the 9th to the 15th century. They include the famous Temple of Angkor Wat and, at Angkor Thom, the Bayon Temple with its countless sculptural decorations. UNESCO has set up a wide-ranging programme to safeguard this symbolic site and its surroundings.






After a long day visiting the temples in the Archaeological Park we wanted to see the sunset, which meant a trek uphill quite a distance and it seemed like an ideal opportunity to take an elephant ride.

It was a fun experience and we were impressed with the treatment that the mahouts gave to the elephants in their care. I cannot recall the name of the one that gave us a ride but I do remember he was over 50 years old, the elephant that is!

I am sharing this post with ABC Wednesday

More Information about Angkor Archaeological Park  can be found by visiting the following links.

Angkor Archaeological Park      Trip Advisor      Wiki- Travel 


ABC Wednesday

10 comments:

  1. very cool, I would love this, the trail view is beautiful from atop the elephants back

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be SO much fun!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Elephants,
    When I was a child I had an elephant
    ride at a local zoo.
    I've had a camel ride in
    the Sahara Desert, that was a scream,
    It was supposed to be a romantic event,
    riding into the sunset,
    but my husband and I just cried with
    laughter at the site of each other
    astride a big humpy camel !
    Such larks !
    Best wishes,
    Di,
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have visited so many marvelous locations. This would be a great adventure and to ride the elephant would be icing on the cake. Love following you on your travel adventures. You make mine look like child's play. Bet that sunset was something to see...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you enjoy sharing my travels virtually, never underestimate your own adventures though.

      Delete
  6. Seems like a wonderful experience... although the animalrightsorganisations are very much against it

    Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-20e/
    (want to take a preview at the new url starting round 21 ? http://abcwednesday.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there does seem to be a lot of controversy with regards to elephants and sadly I think many cases of mistreatment. However I did feel these particular elephants in Cambodia were well treated, they certainly appeared to be.

      Delete
  7. I've never ridden an elephant. Sounds exciting!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  8. An amazing experience I am sure. My sister and BIL and our oldest grandson and his wife have visited India where they had this experience. I think theirs was probably more touristy than yours which seems more real life.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my photography blog, where I share the world as seen through my lens. All commenter's will receive a visit back from me but no longer individual replies unless you have a question, which I will respond to here. Your praise and kind words are always appreciated but to keep saying thankyou to you all individually, in an original way is not easy. So I am saying it here instead, a massive thankyou from my heart for all the wonderful support, your comments are a great encouragement to me.